A process engineer will implement, develop, and optimize production methodologies in the manufacturing operations of Tesla. This engineer will be responsible for optimizing product flow through the factory through process optimization that may include tool /fixture selection, line layouts, ergonomic study, material presentation, and other relevant factors. They will interface with design, test, and quality engineering to solve problems, improve manufacturability, and implement continual improvement. They will sustain products with cost reduction and yield improvements. In addition, the process engineer will work with quality to compile and evaluate data to determine appropriate limits and variables for process or material specifications.
- Develop expertise in manufacturing processes. Understand process capabilities through critical data analysis and in depth understanding of the product. Develop and modify line layouts, including material flow, waste reduction, and ergonomics, utilizing Lean Manufacturing best practices. Participate in the transition of a product from concept to pilot line production and into mass manufacturing.
- Analyze and optimize production processes to ensure safety while maximizing Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) in cost effective means while driving to achieve world-class quality levels. Champion continuous improvement projects (CIP) to maximize yield, capacity, and capability.
- Responsible for diagnosing issues found during the part manufacturing process and drive corrective action back to source, resulting in root cause identification and elimination. Utilize structured problem solving techniques such as DMAIC, Ishikawa, Five Why (5W) and Eight Disciplines (8D).
- Analyze data from various sources to identify trends in build quality and efficiency. Develop robust and clear data collection, visualization, and analysis tools. Enable data driven operational and financial decisions through predictive insights into tool and process performance, including integration of factory data systems and use of software such as MySQL, Python, R, JMP, Minitab, Tableau and Ignition.
- Perform supporting activities for engineering and manufacturing including 5S and Lean manufacturing activities, material handling improvements, production line configuration, and safety procedures.
- Monitor and reduce process variation using techniques such as Statistical Process Control (SPC) and Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA). Monitor and audit manufacturing processes to ensure product specifications and standards are achieved. Participate in the development and maintenance of FMEAs and Control Plans. Analyze, develop, process, and implement Engineering Change Orders.
- Create and maintain Manufacturing Instructions, routings, and associated processes. Develop and train sustaining technicians, assist in the training of operators as needed. Manage activities for process sustaining technicians to support day to day coverage of production line, including developing and documenting appropriate rework procedures.
This production line will help define how certain products are manufactured at Tesla. As such this will require a great deal of hands-on development and troubleshooting and flexibility.
- BS degree in engineering, mathematics, physical science or other applicable degree (advanced degree preferred)
- Experience developing and improving Process. Have a demonstrated track record of Overall Equipment Effectiveness improvement activities.
- Good understanding of Bill of Materials, Manufacturing Execution System, Specification Management, Change Point Management
- Data collection and analysis experience. Ability to develop data driven root cause analyses and solutions.
- Strong problem solving skills and an aptitude for learning systems quickly. Able to utilize structured problem solving techniques such as DMAIC, Ishikawa, Five Why (5W) or Eight Disciplines (8D). Able to resolve high level performance issues into addressable actions.
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control and its application
- Exceptional capacity for managing simultaneous activities, competing priorities and challenges.
- Strong ability to work and communicate effectively with team and peers within a manufacturing and engineering organization. This includes excellent communication skills: written and verbal.
- Creative capacity for developing new ways to do things better, cheaper, faster in alignment with the Tesla approach to revolutionary product development.
- Passion for making fantastic new products and using testing as a means to enable an engineering organization to achieve outstanding quality, reliability and excellence.